Text Only version of this page
cchsnys

MEMBER ACTIVITIES  
         LEARN MORE

MEMBER 
   PAGES

   TOMORROW'S
  HISTORY TODAY

Then & Now
     

Member Pages
Chautauqua County Historical Society - Member Activities - Chautauqua County - New York - USA

CHAUTAUQUA LAKE STEAMBOATS

"NETTIE FOX"
"JAMESTOWN" (2ND)
(1880 - 1903)

Chautauqua County, New York, USA


Nettie Fox

"NETTIE FOX" AT MAYVILLE
CHAUTAUQUA LAKE NY 1875




Nettie Fox

"1876 PASS FOR THE "NETTIE FOX""
OBVIOUSLY PRINTED BEFORE THE NAME CHANGE AFTER SHE WAS SOLD ON JUNE 6TH, 1876




Mary Griffith Pass

renamed "JAMESTOWN" (1876 - 1877) three deck
MAYVILLE - CHAUTAUQUA LAKE - NEW YORK


History

The stern-wheel steamer "Nettie Fox" was built in 1875 in Jamestown NY by Issac Hammett of Pittsburgh PA for Mr. Charles Fox and Captain Robert Jones both of Jamestown. It was named after one of Mr. Fox's daughters. She was 175 feet long with a 32 feet beam and a depth of hold of 5 feet. She had a flat bottom and was modeled after many of the Mississippi River steamboats of the day.

She was launched May 24th, 1875 at the Boatlanding and made her first trip on June 16th. Due to her size she was a bit difficult to maneuver through the Outlet, but things were soon worked out. For her first season she was under the command of Captain Robert Jones one of her owners.

In the Spring of 1887 a talented painter named Mr. Mell Worland repainted her. The main color was white with black and seal brown trimmings. The window casings were painted carmine giving her just the right amount of color.

The winter of 1887-79 was a period of extensive repairs and changes to the "Jamestown" (2nd). The addition of a fourth deck along with repositioning of various elements increased her capacity from the initial 900 to 3000 people. Restaurant, dining room, staterooms, refreshment stand ... and a 175 feet long and 32 feet broad dance floor / promenade.

From 1880 through 1892 the "Jamestown" ran as an excursion boat. With her great size, she required a large crew and alot of coal and maintenance. As impressive a sight she was, there was some question as to whether or not she ever was a profitable boat.

On the morning of October 23rd, 1892 the "Jamestown" burned to the waters edge. The cause of the blaze was not known. Whats left of her hull lies at the mouth of the Outlet just below Celoron NY.


GO TO NEXT.

GO BACK TO LARGE CHAUTAUQUA LAKE STEAMBOATS.

GO BACK TO MEMBER PAGES
from the McClurg Museum - Westfield, New York
©2007 - Chautauqua County Historical Society, Westfield, NY