Chautauqua County Historical Society - Member Activities - Chautauqua County - New York - USA
Chautauqua County, New York, USA
"JAMESTOWN"(1ST) AT GRIFFITH'S POINT
CHAUTAUQUA LAKE - NEW YORK - circa 1873
1869 FIRST YEAR PASS FOR THE "JAMESTOWN" (1ST)
SIGNED BY THE CAPTAIN S. (SUMNER) MANLEY
"JAMESTOWN" (1ST) AT BOAT LANDING (1ST)
JAMESTOWN - NEW YORK - 1874
The Jamestown (1st) was built at a cost of $15,000 in Bemus Bay (Bayview near foot of West Ellery Road) in 1869 by the owners the Brown Brothers and Ray Scofield of Ellery. She was 108 feet long with a beam of 20 feet. Regular trips on the lake started on June 5th of that year under the command of Captain Sumner Manley.
Through the early 1870's there were minor changes to the cabins. Also there were several changes in ownership until Captain T.E. Grandin became the sole owner in 1874. In the winter of 1874 -75 she was lengthened by about 50 feet (a change old timers say ruined her). Hull changes were made in an attempt to eliminate her undesireable tendency to roll from side to side.
In the early morning of October 2, 1875, at the Boatlanding in Jamestown NY, fire was discovered coming from the Jamestown's hold . Firefighters were unable to save her and the neighboring Griffith was also badly damaged. The hull was towed near the mouth of the present canal at Beechwood and sunk.