Text Only version of this page
cchsnys

    MEMBER
  ACTIVITIES
 LEARN MORE

MEMBER 
   PAGES

   TOMORROW'S
  HISTORY TODAY

Then & Now
     

Member Pages
Chautauqua County Historical Society - Member Activities - Chautauqua County - New York - USA

Aaron Hall

letter

Architect, Jamestown, New York, USA
Born March 8, 1830 - Died April 4, 1911


History:

    Aaron Hall was born at Sharon, Otsego County, N.Y., March 9, 1830. He is a contractor and builder of note. In 1862 he came to Jamestown and established a wide reputation as an architect. The residence of Governor Fenton and the Central School are creations of his, as are the City Hall, the First Lutheran Chruch, the First Congregational Church, the residence of L.B. Warner, and many other notable buildings in and about Jamestown. Mr. Hall is a Democrat. He was Highway Commissioner in Ellicott for twelve years. He is a member of Ellicott Lodge, No. 169, I.O.O.F., of Jamestown. He married Martha Parkhurst, of Chautauqua County. His son Morgan W. is associated in business with the father. (Text and portrait from "Between the Ocean and the Lakes" by Edward Harold Mott - 1899).



A few of his buildings...

Rediscovery & Bringing 93 Back to Jamestown NY
Lucius B. Warner Home
Forest Avenue, Jamestown, NY
gokey home small
N.W. Gokey Home
Lakeview Avenue, Jamestown, NY
Central School
Central Branch School
on 4th at Spring, SE Corner
Hoyt Block Jamestown NY
The Hoyt Block
On W.3rd at Jefferson, SE corner
William Broadhead Home Jamestown, NY
Home of William Broadhead
S. Main Street, Jamestown, NY
Home of Cyrus Jones Jamestown NY
Home of Cyrus Jones
Fairmount Ave, Jamestown, NY


JAMESTOWN EVENING JOURNAL, WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5, 1911

AARON HALL DEAD
WELLKNOWN ARCHITECT PASSED
AWAY TUESDAY AFTER
-NOON

   Aaron Hall, for over half a century one of the leading architects in western New York, died at his home, 186 Forest avenue, Tuesday afternoon at 4:40 o'clock aged 81 years and 25 days, and with his passing there disappears from the streets of Jamestown one of its best known figures during an entire generation, a man who played an important part in the development of the city from the struggling village of the civil war period to the thriving industrial community of the present day. Many of the principal buildings in the city were designed by him and not only here but in other places were his services as an architect in demand during the past 50 years. Born in Otsego county, N.Y., March 9, 1830, the son of Jacob and Eliza Woodburn Hall, Aaron Hall came to Chautauqua county with the family in June of that year, his parents establishing a home in the township of Charlotte. The journey was made by the primitive means of the time over the Erie Canal to Buffalo, thence on Lake Erie to Dunkirk and from Dunkirk to the destination, a home in the wilderness built by the grandfather of the child, David Woodburn, by double Ox-team. Mr. Woodburn had preceded the family to Charlotte in the fall of 1829 and built the log cabin which also became the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Hall and their son Aaron. Of this loghouse, Aaron Hall retained a very vivid recollection throughout his life and not long ago he drew a picture of it and also of the house later erected on the site and still standing. Mr. Hall was united in marriage with Miss Martha E. Parkhurst, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Parkhurst of Chautauqua in 1854 and the following year he moved to Westfield, his occupation then being that of a builder, although his skill as an architect was such that he soon abandoned building and engaged in architectural work. While residing at Westfield he designed and built the Presbyterian church of that village and when this was destroyed by fire, he planned and rebuilt the church which is still stand-ing, although at the time he was a resident if Jamestown. Coming to Jamestown in 1860, Mr. Hall made his home here up to the time of his death, a period of over 50 years, and throughout that time was recognized far and near as an architect of unusual talent and ability. Monuments of his work along this line are to be seen on every hand today which he designed is a long one, including such structures as the Governor Fenton residence in Walnut Grove, erected in 1863 and occupied by the governor and his family up to the time of his death in 1884, the Sherman house, destroyed by fire last year; the Prendergast building at the corner of Main and Third streets; the Samuels block on West Third street, formerly known as the Hayward house; the west portion of the Gokey building on West Third destroyed by the same fire which wiped out the Sherman house; the New Gifford building in Brooklyn square; the Hoyt block on West Third street; the Dr. Hall block on West Third street; the Chadakoin building on West Third street; the Wellman buildings on West Third and Cherry streets; Celoron theater; the Washington street car barns of the Jamestown Street Railway company; the City hall; the First M. E. church; the First Congregational church; the First Lutheran church; the N.W. Gokey residence on Lake View avenue, now occupied by Ralph C. Sheldon; the William Gifford residence at the corner of West Fifth and Cherry streets, now occupied by Charles H. Gifford; the Seth Warner residence at the corner of Main and Sixth streets, now occupied by Jerome B. Fisher, and many other business blocks and dwellings. He also did considerable outside work, planning the Episcopal and Congregational churches at Randolph; the Oil Exchange building at Olean and several business blocks at Warren. Mr. Hall was always a Democrat in politics. He held the office of highway commissioner of the town of Ellicott for 12 years and in 1882 and 1883 when Governor Fenton was president of the village board, he served as a member of that body. He became a member of Mt. Moriah lodge, No. 145, Free and Accepted Masons, in 1873, and was also a member of Western Sun chapter, No. 67, Royal Arch Masons, and Jamestown commandery, No. 61, Knights Templar. He served as high priest of Western Sun chapter in 1890, 1891 and 1893. Mr. Hall is survived by a wife, one son, Morgan Hall of this city, and a brother, William Hall of Sinclairville. The funeral will be held privately from the family home, 186 Forest avenue, Thursday afternoon at 5 o'clock, the internment to be at Sinclairville Mt. Moriah lodge, F. & A. M., will conduct the funeral service.

Member Page submitted by Bob Johnston.


GO BACK TO MEMBER PAGES
from the McClurg Museum - Westfield, New York
©2007 - Chautauqua County Historical Society, Westfield, NY